Sunday, October 25, 2009
Salma: Salma mad sangat sampai jadi dragon. Keluar fire, big fire like tallest hotel. Masa tu Salma ada boyfriend (Apa kaitan??) . He's handsome and genius. Handsome macam babah, takde janggut. And genius. Dia awesome, naik skateboard like this, voomm...blablabla"
Mama dah sleepy dah Salma. Goodnight.
Having a child does not really prepare you enough for another, because as I'm experiencing it, one is not the same as the other. As I remember it, Salma was a sweet baby. Always cool and never shouted or screamed unless provoked (by Hadi lah siapa lagi?) She threw a tantrum a couple of times and that was when she was 2+ when I was pregnant with Hanan. When I tell her no, then give her a reason why or distract her, she would always listen to me. I didn't think twice about having another baby when she was 20 months old as she was such an easy baby to care for.
With Hanan, it's a different story altogether. At first when she wasn't mobile yet she was the sweetest baby ever. Little did we know that there's a little baby monster inside..hehe. Hanan grew up faster than Salma did, she learned to communicate earlier and learnt a lot of other stuff sooner than a baby without a sibling. Since she can communicate with us she really used the tool, she's persistent and demanding. If we refuse her requests she would scream and cry. I've tried to discipline her but after 40 minutes of screaming and body tossing on the floor I gave up. It was mental torture for me. This baby of mine screams for food at the store and bites asparagus sticks before we reach the check out counter.
Yesterday when Hadi kissed Hanan goodnight Salma made a scowling face. She stomped to Hadi's bed and sat next to him. Hadi then asked her if she had anything to say. Saying it as fast as she could she said:
"Tadi Hanan push Salma, tadi Hanan bab Salma, tadi Hanan bite Salma dekat hand, tadi Hanan bite Salma kat sini" dengan muka tak puas hati.
Sometimes we punish Hanan, ask her to sit in a corner but most of the time Salma would laugh it off so tak sangka she was so emotional about it. Tak puas hati babah dia kiss the lil monster. Then I talked to her about how my sister was like Hanan, Salma macam tak boleh accept that Cik Yo naughty macam Hanan.
Even though each child is different, the common thing is that they bring you so much joy. My lil monster is clever, friendly, funny and thoughtful. When I give her things she would always ask for another one for her sister. Imagine how this little kid can bully her sister, tengok size tak padan...but Yo is 5 years younger than I am and managed to bully me when we were younger
Look at Hanan's face. Now I have to deal with an obsessive scratcher. She scratches old mosquito bites until it bleeds and even tried to kutil Salma's luka jugak!!!!She kutil-ed her face because her leg was all wrapped up in a bandage.
Love them both, naughty or not. :)
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
How to wean toddlers who are down to 3 or 4 feedings per day, will depend on the art of distraction. For example,
- eliminate the noon-time feeding by giving him more table foods and a sippy-cup of formula (or breast milk).
- eliminate a pre-nap nursing session by taking him for a walk and letting him fall asleep while in the stroller instead of falling asleep on the breast.
- eliminate the morning feeding by distracting him with a lively breakfast table with lots of nutritious finger foods.
- The before-bed feeding is the hardest to give up because your baby is so dependent on that quiet and quality time to settle down for the night. If possible, let your husband or another adult take him to bed so that he is not confronted with you and your breasts which has, until now, always been for him.
Now I've started to dodoi Hanan to sleep. Some nights it works, some other nights "nak susu, nak susu" sambil bergolek-golek..hehehe
I so hate it when people say "so you duduk rumah je lah". I'll put up a smiling face though inside I feel like wringing their necks. Hoho..sungguh ganas. You don't say things like "oh, so you kerja kat Carigali je lah" or "so you Senior Manager je lah". Please drop the aje lah. I'm glad that my husband is really supportive and appreciates what I'm doing even though i only sense this recently :) Biarlah apa orang kata, I'm just glad that my kids are healthy and happy.
Back to making my lists.....
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Blood sugar level:5.1mmol/l
Blood pressure: 100/65
Weight tak payah ceritala tapi it seems I've lost 2cm off my height!Yikes.
Overall, nothing to be worried about cept for my cholesterol level. The nurse said that below 5.7 is fine, so mine is still normallah but when I googled it I found out that the ideal level is actually to have it <5mml/l and anything above 5 is considered mildly high cholesterol level. I guess the plate of cokodok udang I had yesterday dah added up a few mmol lagi so beginning today, after all the open house, I will eat things that are healthy for my body and indulge in kulit ayam (once a week?) and fried food (4 times a week?I even misspelled it as friend food..huhuuh..that's how friendly I am with fried food) only occasionally.
To good health! :)
Friday, October 16, 2009
Hanan can now say tittle-tittle star!A few days ago she opened the little doa book and started singing...i love you....i love youuuuu....hehe..funnyla si kenit nih. She can also sing e-day you you (happy birthday to you). Sometimes she'll become like the big sister, usually when we are going out Salma would be the last one out the door so Hanan would hold Salma's hand and say go-go, come, though sometimes she'd just push Salma :P memang ganas. Well the other week when we were at the hotel she pimpin Salma sampai her slippers then said pi pe-pi pe. Suruh pakai selipar..
Salma can spell her name, no, zoo, and oso..hehe...special agent oso. Sometimes I think I don't teach her enough but at her age kids learn through play so I just let her play and use her imagination. She learned her ABCs, shapes and counting during my maternity leave one and a half years ago. Macam tak banyak progress pulak but she's learned how to write and draws pretty well. Well, below is a guide I got from http://worldbook.com and looks like she's on track cept for a few that I've highlighted. So my mission this weekend is to help her with the home address and tel no
Preschool Curriculum Guide
* Understands big and little.
* Understands long and short.
* Matches shapes or objects based on size.
Colors and Shapes
* Recognizes and names primary colors.
* Recognizes circles.
* Recognizes rectangles.
* Matches shapes or objects based on shape.
* Copies shapes.
* Counts orally through 10.
* Counts objects in one-to-one correspondence.
* Understands empty and full.
* Understands more and less.
* Remembers objects from a given picture.
* Knows what a letter is.
* Has been read to frequently.
* Has been read to daily.
* Looks at books and magazines.
* Recognizes some nursery rhymes.
* Identifies parts of the body.
* Identifies objects that have a functional use.
* Knows common farm and zoo animals.
* Pronounces own first name.
* Pronounces own last name.
* Expresses self verbally.
* Identifies other children by name
* Tells the meaning of simple words.
* Repeats a sentence of 6-8 words.
* Completes incomplete sentence with proper word.
* Has own books.
* Understands that print carries a message.
* Pretends to read.
* Uses left-to-right progression.
* Answers questions about a short story.
* Tells the meaning of words heard in story.
* Looks at pictures and tells a story.
* Identifies own first name in manuscript.
* Prints own first name.
Position and Direction
* Understands up and down.
* Understands in and out.
* Understands front and back.
* Understands over (on) and under.
* Understands top, bottom, middle.
* Understands beside and next to.
* Understands hot and cold.
* Understands fast and slow.
* Understands day and night.
* Knows age and birthday.
Listening and Sequencing
* Follows simple directions.
* Listens to a short story.
* Listens carefully.
* Recognizes common sounds.
* Repeats a sequence of sounds.
* Repeats a sequence of orally given numbers.
* Retells simple stories in sequence.
* Is able to run.
* Is able to walk a straight line.
* Is able to jump.
* Is able to hop.
* Is able to alternate feet walking down stairs.
* Is able to march.
* Is able to stand on one foot for 5-10 seconds.
* Is able to walk backwards for five feet.
* Is able to throw a ball.
* Pastes objects.
* Claps hands.
* Matches simple objects.
* Touches fingers.
* Able to button a garment.
* Builds with blocks.
* Completes simple puzzles
(5 pieces or less).
* Draws and colors beyond
* a simple scribble.
* Able to zip a zipper.
* Controls pencil and crayon well.
* Cuts simple shapes.
* Handles scissors well.
* Able to copy simple shapes.
* Can be away from parents or primary care givers for 2-3 hours
without being upset.
* Takes care of toilet needs independently.
* Feels good about self.
* Is not afraid to go to school.
* Cares for own belongings.
* Knows full name.
* Dresses self.
* Knows how to use handkerchief
* Knows own sex.
* Brushes teeth.
* Crosses residential street safely.
* Asks to go to school.
* Knows parents' names.
* Knows home address.
* Knows home phone number.
* Enters into casual conversation.
* Carries a plate of food.
* Maintains self-control.
* Gets along well with other children.
* Plays with other children.
* Recognizes authority.
* Shares with others.
* Talks easily.
* Likes teachers.
* Meets visitors without shyness.
* Puts away toys.
* Able to stay on task.
* Able to work independently.
* Helps family with chores.
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
We had dinner at Nandos and I found myself looking at the passing crowd. Most of them were working people, on their way home at 8pm. I hope we won't have to live like that..working all the time and arriving home too tired to be with our loved ones. I've grown to love Kerteh..makcik kampung la I ni..huhu.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Sunday, October 4, 2009
This is somewhere near the KT airport. Showed Hanan the horses from across the road and she immediately said nak!nak!So I took her to the beach to look at the horses and she said naik aik, ingat she would be scared but she actually looked toye je the whole time - 3 small rounds. Hehe, budak-budak are always like this, bila nampak the 50cent rides dekat kedai they'd be super excited but when they're actually on it - muka toye. Hehe..wonder what goes on in their minds
When I told Salma that adik was going on the small horsie Salma said she'd naik the big horse. Bila dekat terus kecut perut...hoho..tak naik pun..